MORAY WILL NOT BE LEFT OUT OF TORCH CELEBRATIONS.

The Olympic Torch route comes within 10 miles of 95% of the population of the UK, Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey – however Moray won’t let the remaining 5% be left out.

Walk, Jog, Run Moray, the Moray Council and Creative Scotland have set up their own relay to take part in the celebrations and get the north east thinking about London 2012.

Kim Paterson, Moray Councils sports development officer and the secretary of Walk, Jog, Run Moray, said the idea came about in 2011. Various newspapers had highlighted how unhappy the local area was about being left out of the official Olympic Torch route.

2, 012 walkers, joggers and runners will carry a replica torch around a 115 mile route through Moray’s communities.

The replica torch will pass through Dufftown on its route.

Local schools, RAF Lossiemouth, Cullen Toddlers, Buckie Coasters, Ardach Health Centre, Speyside Orienteering Club and many other groups such as businesses and hospitals are also taking part in the relay. Over 1,300 people have signed up and that figure is still growing.

The organisers have no fear that the target number of torch bearers will not be reached.  Kim Paterson said that they have had lots of positive feedback from the communities as now they feel included in the celebrations.

The route will start in Elgin on June 8th when the official torch is just hitting Glasgow, and will end on the 13thafter the official torch has passed Moray’s closest point – Tomintoul.

3K, 10K and relay races will also take part in Moray ahead of the Olympics in August to get everyone into the sporting spirit.

To find out more about the Moray Torch Relay or become one of the Moray Torch Bearers click here.

Alternatively follow the official torches route and see where its closest spot is to you by clicking here.

2 thoughts on “MORAY WILL NOT BE LEFT OUT OF TORCH CELEBRATIONS.

  1. Your post, Gillian Lambie | MORAY WILL NOT BE LEFT OUT OF TORCH CELEBRATIONS., is really well written and insightful. Glad I found your website, warm regards!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *